What is a professional (H1B/foreign worker) visa?

Since 1994, we have obtained thousands of H1B and Green Cards for international professionals throughout the world working for a US business or company. The H1B visa program is the primary method for US employers to recruit and hire international professionals with a Bachelor’s Degree to work with them. The H1B visa enables US employers to hire foreign professionals in specialty occupations to work in the US for up to 3 years (that can be renewed for another 3 years) without having to demonstrate that no American is willing or able to fill the position.

What makes the H1B so desirable for employers and applicants is that, unlike many other nonimmigrant visa categories, it is a “dual intent” visa (either temporary or permanent resident intent). This means that the H1B holder can apply for a Permanent Residency/Green Card while working under his/her H1B visa. Furthermore, the applicant will be able to extend his/her H1B status while waiting for the Green Card.

The H1B visa / status classification requires that the international professional holds the equivalent of a US Bachelor’s degree in a field related to that occupation. An international professional can hold the equivalent of a US Bachelor’s degree in a related field through education in North America or abroad, or through a combination of education and experience. Foreign degrees must be evaluated by a US professional evaluation service certified or recognized by the USCIS before the H1B petition can be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The sponsoring companies need to pay the international professional the prevailing wage as determined by the National Prevailing Wage Center (NPWC). The proposed job must normally require a Bachelor’s degree as a minimum condition for entry into that occupation.

The H1B cap – quota of H1B visas issued each year (US only)

The number of H1B visas issued each year is subject to a cap that is determined by US Congress. The current H1B cap is set at 65,000 plus an additional 20,000 for Graduates with a Masters degree or Doctorate from an American University. Being denied a visa because the cap has already been reached will not preclude you from applying during the next cycle.

Types of jobs and professions that qualify for the H1B visa program (US only)

  1. Architectural
  2. Aeronautical Engineering
  3. Electrical/ Electronics Engineering
  4. Civil Engineering
  5. Ceramic Engineering
  6. Mechanical Engineering
  7. Chemical Engineering
  8. Mining And Petroleum Engineering
  9. Metallurgy And Metallurgical Engineering
  10. Industrial Engineering
  11. Agricultural Engineering
  12. Marine Engineering
  13. Nuclear Engineering
  14. Drafters
  15. Surveying/ Cartographic
  1. Physicians And Surgeons
  2. Osteopaths
  3. Dentists
  4. Veterinarians
  5. Pharmacists
  6. Registered Nurses
  7. Therapists
  8. Dieticians
  9. Medical and Dental Technology
  1. Economics,
  2. Political Science
  3. History
  4. Sociology
  5. Anthropology
  6. Librarians
  7. Archivists
  8. Museum Curators and Related Occupations
  9. Lawyers
  10. Clergy
  11. Commercial Artists: Designers and Illustrators, Graphic Arts
  12. Environmental, Product, and Related Designers
  13. Social and Welfare Work
  14. Miscellaneous Professional, Technical, Managerial and Sales Promotion
  15. Fashion Models
  1. Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Industry Managers and Officials
  2. Mining Industry Managers and Officials
  3. Construction Industry Managers and Officials
  4. Manufacturing Industry Managers and Officials
  5. Transportation, Communication, and Utilities Industry Managers and
  6. Officials
  7. Wholesale and Retail Trade Managers and Officials
  8. Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate Managers and Officials
  9. Service Industry Managers and Officials
  10. Public Administration Managers and Officials
  11. Miscellaneous Managers and Officials
  1. Mathematics
  2. Astronomy
  3. Chemistry
  4. Physics
  5. Geology
  6. Meteorology
  1. College and University Education
  2. Secondary School Education
  3. Preschool, Primary School, and Kindergarten Education
  4. Education of Persons with Disabilities
  5. Home Economists and Farm Advisers
  6. Vocational Education
  1. Writers
  2. Editors: Publication, Broadcast, and Script
  1. Systems Analysis and Programming
  2. Data Communications and Networks
  3. Computer System User Support
  4. Computer System Technical Support
  1. Accountants, Auditors, and Related
  2. Budget and Management Systems Analysis
  3. Purchasing Management
  4. Sales and Distribution Management
  5. Advertising Management
  6. Public Relations Management
  7. Personnel Administration
  8. Inspectors and Investigators, Managerial and Public Service
  1. Agricultural Sciences
  2. Biological Sciences
  3. Psychology

Our services

  • Immediate free consultation;
  • Evaluate the job offer and explain the particular immigration rules and requirements;
  • Help and assist with the prevailing wage determination;
  • Evaluate your credentials and work experience;
  • Evaluate your references;
  • Have foreign diplomas accredited if applicable;
  • Provide the applicant with information and assistance to meet licensure requirements for different American professional corporations;
  • Prepare and present all the required evidences;
  • Ensure that all documents are properly translated;
  • Coordinate every aspect of the application with the employer.
  • Submit the application to the US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) for approval

For US permanent residency (Green Card):

Help and assist with the Labor Certification Application procedure through the US Department of Labor;
Help and assist with posting requirements;
Petition the USCIS to hire a nonimmigrant worker once the Labor Certification Application is accepted.
Petition for extension of the H1B until the receipt of the Green Card.
Coordinate every aspect of the application with the employer.

Our Welcoming Team

Landing in a new country can sometimes be stressful and demanding. At CANAM, we fully understand the challenges you might have to face once in the US or Canada and we are able to assist you and your family every step of the way. Our “Welcoming Team” is specially trained to facilitate everything for you, from housing requirements to school admissions in order to make your transition as seamless as possible.

Let us facilitate the integration of your family in their new homeland by assisting you and your family with all your personal needs, so you can feel at home in the United States or Canada.

For visa holders and their family, our staff can assist them in the following areas:

  • Rent or buy a home anywhere in the target country
  • Enrollment into Schools and Universities
  • Insurance (healthcare, home and vehicles)
  • Banking (credit cards and loans)
  • Accounting (for preparation of their annual tax returns)
  • Recommendations pertaining to what they must do when leaving their home country make the transition as seamless as possible
  • Social security, Driver’s license
  • Moving procedures